Saturday 5 December 2009

Docuphile

I love documentaries. I haven't time to follow a whole TV series so a documentary is often an entertaining and informative way to relax for an hour in front of the TV. It can be about anything from wildlife to current affairs or famous people.

Some of the best documentaries of I watched have been about current affairs such as Crude Impact , Manda Bala, The World according to Monsanto, Another perfect world but the other day I saw a really good documentary about the artist Keith Haring. And that is just the thing, there are a lot of really good quality documentaries around now, or maybe its just that I have been paying more attention in the last few years. Indeed, there seems to be several documentaries getting a lot of media attention at the moment; Bananas!* and Videocracy to name a couple.

The impact of these films should not be underestimated. The makers of Bananas!* are being sued by Dole and the film The World accoring to Monsanto is billed as the film that "americans won't ever get to see." Manda Bala is also cited as a film that can never be shown in Brazil. So, I count myself lucky that I am not a target of such censorship.

In Sweden, we are also fortunate to have such good programs as Dokument utifrÃ¥n and K-special that show a new documentary from around the world every week. Another program Uppdrag granskning reports on goings on in Sweden. In particular, there have been several programs on over-fishing, E.U. fishing regulations and fish-farming.

So how does this flood of information affect me? Well, as a consumer you pay for what you get. For a start I keep a pocket-size fish guide in my wallet when I am out shopping. Eco-food is also prefereable. Ask yourself, how can a banana be so cheap when it is grown on the other side of the world and has a shelf-life of just 2-3 days?

But I am not just a consumer but also a citizen of a democracy, and so being informed about what goes on in the world ("constant vigilance") enables me make the best use of my vote and helps hold our politicans accountable.

And now with the Copenhangen Climate Conference starting in a week, I expect there will be at least a few documentaries about climate change and climate politics on TV. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment